In the simplest terms, a VPN is a virtual private network that connects to the internet on your behalf to keep private information confidential and safe from third parties and hackers. VPN is the easiest way to provide network security for your business so that business information and details are not leaked or tampered with.
With VPN, you will worry less about data breaches within your business with numerous safety features at your disposal. Now that a lot of businesses operate virtually with many workers working from home, a VPN is essential to keep your business safe while transferring or retrieving data. Here is a guide on how to setup VPN for small businesses.
How to setup VPN for small businesses
The first thing you need to do is find the right VPN for your business. Choosing the right VPN depends largely on what your business needs are. There are two types of VPN: client to site and site to site VPNs.
The former is between you as a single user and the internet. You can browse the internet, shop, and access data securely. The latter, on the other hand, is a remote access connection between whole networks. For example, it provides a secure atmosphere to access your office’s network and stored information.
As a small business owner, make sure to choose that which will suffice for your business depending on its size. Is it just you handling the business? Do you have others working with or under you?
Preferably, use a paid VPN instead of free VPN for your business, make sure it gets rid of logs instead of storing them, and make sure it has a high level of encryption.
Next, identify the operating system your business uses. Does your PC run on Windows 10, Windows 10 Pro, etc.? Download your preferred VPN network and proceed to set it up.
Read also: How to Use VPN in Android
Let’s look at how to set up VPN server on android devices
- Open Settings in your android device
- Click on Network and Internet or Wireless and Network
- On the former, you will see VPN boldly displayed on the next page while for the latter, click More, then select VPN
- After selecting VPN, click the + icon
- Now you can add preferred protocol under VPN type, that is, PPTP, SSTP, L2TP/1Psec, or IKEv2
- Then, fill in details required as provided by your VPN network provider
- Save and you are ready to connect to your VPN
Read also: A complete Review of Namecheap web hosting
How to setup VPN on Windows
- Using Cortana, search VPN
- Click on VPN, then the + sign to Add a VPN Connection
- From the dropdown menu in the first field displayed, click Windows built-in to automatically set your VPN type to automatic or select desired protocol
- Fill the rest of the fields with required information about your VPN provider
- Next, save the details, click on Wi-Fi connection, and select the VPN connection you created. Once it connects, you are good to go.
Read also: How to Disable Avast Secure Browser
How to setup VPN on iOS
- Open Settings >> Go to General, then navigate to VPN >> Click on Add VPN Configuration, then VPN Type >> Return to previous screen and enter the details from your VPN provider, tap done, then switch status to ON. You are set.
To setup VPN for small businesses, it is advisable to use either the OpenVPN or L2TP/IPsec protocol. The former makes it easy to incorporate third-party VPN networks and allows you configure it to fit your business needs.
The latter is the most common though old, but is great for creating specific secure channels. Both are secure, fast enough, and versatile. Note that the SSTP protocol works great for Windows but is not widely used because it is restricted to Windows only.