Unveiled at CES 2012 comes the SpareOne, a cell phone that runs on a single AA battery and can sit in standby for 15 years. The SpareOne cell phone is meant to be an emergency phone that is available in any situation and ready to run on a single AA battery.
XPAL Power patented battery technology runs under the hood and is responsible for the technology behind PowerSkin and Energizer’s Energi to Go. SpareOne is a dual band GSM cell phone which uses patented technology that allows it to run at such low power as to maintain itself on a AA battery. The phone also boasts a talk time of up to 10 hours on a single battery and will sit in standby for 15 years if not used. We aren’t even sure the AA battery will last that long inside the phone.
The phone will be available in Q1 2012 at the price of $49.99. To use the phone you will need to purchase minutes that can be loaded ahead of time and used later. The phone can be used an many different senarios which is outlined below:
• Emergencies: With a built in emergency flashlight and the ability to automatically transmit its location via the cell ID, SpareOne is the only reliable tool for urgent response during a crisis or natural disaster when AA batteries become the only source of power.
• Travel: Travel agents, hotels, airplane attendants and other professionals in the tourism industry will be able to customize SpareOne to cater to their customer base, including programming SpareOne with minutes that can be used by travelers to make calls at local rates, or pre-loading them with convenient numbers to taxis, restaurants, airline ticketing and other localized concierge services.
• Bundling & Corporate Partnerships: Corporations can customize bundle packages for employees, such as encouraging employees to buy a smartphone and receive a SpareOne for free.
• Special Events: Moving forward, SpareOne will offer options to brand and customize designs and colors to correspond with special events.
• Families: SpareOne provides peace of mind to families with three re-settable speed dial buttons to keep the lines of communication open with children, seniors and other loved ones.
• Outdoor Enthusiasts: SpareOne is an ideal safety companion for people who frequently practice outdoor activities such as yachting, skiing, canoeing and any other activity in the wilderness. As long as there is cell phone coverage, SpareOne will always maintain its ability to make and receive calls, regardless of whether electric infrastructure is present or not.