The rumors have started circling around what will happen this year at WWDC and the iPhone 5 announcement. iOS 5, which will be the next version of the iOS software platform which could push Apple into the cloud.
If the next iOS allows access to the cloud that could call for wireless syncing, backup to the cloud, and cloud media storage for iOS devices. With the addition of the cloud to iOS we could see many new features added to the new iPhone 5. TechCrunch has a list of recent rumors surrounding the iPhone 5 which are as follows:
- iOS 5 will launch in the fall and will be a major revamp of the OS.
- It could well be previewed at WWDC, it just won’t be released then.
- The iOS 5 launch is also likely to coincide with the release of a new type of iPad.
- The new iOS will be heavily built around the cloud, and we could see several new services launch from Apple that take advantage of this.
- Yes, one of those is very likely a “music locker” service. There is also a fall launch aim for this, during Apple’s annual music-themed event.
- But much of the cloud stuff will first be talked about at WWDC, Apple’s developer event which will take place in June.
- One of the new cloud service elements is likely a location service that focuses on finding friends and family members.
- OS X Lion is still on pace for a summer release — some of the new cloud components are likely to be baked into it as well.
I would expect to see an iOS 5 announcement at WWDC this year along side the iPhone 5 but I would not expect them to release it till fall according to these rumors.